November 21, 2012

Simple Pumpkin Pie - Recipe

This year my mom decided to buy Libby's "Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix" which is a bit different then what I was using previously but it doesn't require you to add in the sugar and it uses more pie mix than evaporated milk. It also says it contains spices, not sure what all that entails but below is the recipe I put together with this, enjoy :)

Ingredients
2 Cans (12 fl oz each) - Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 1/4 Cup (10 fl oz) - Carnation Evaporated Milk
4 Large - Eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp - Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp - Pumpkin Pie Spice (add more/less if desired)

Other
2 Frozen Traditional Size - Pre-Made Pie Crusts
1 Container - Whip Cream (Optional)
1 Box - Aluminum Foil

Using an electric mixer combine the pumpkin pie mix, evaporated milk and eggs in a large bowl. Cover the edges of the pie tins with the foil to protect the crust edges from burning. Pour the mix into the pie shells. Tap down the pies a bit to help release any possible air bubbles in the pie. Bake in a preheated 425F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350F; bake 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean (because I had both pies in the oven at once I ended up having to cook them an additional 15-20 minutes). Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
----Additions----
I ended up further changing the ingredients a tad on both of my pies however, the ingredients above were in both pies from the start (although I used 4 'jumbo' sized eggs not 'large' ones this time). After I filled up one pie tin I added in some dots of Hershey chocolate syrup on top and ran a knife through the dots to create a marbled effect (I would've done bigger dots but I was low on syrup). Before I poured the batter into my 2nd pie I added in a 1/2 tbsp of ground cinnamon because apparently my mom felt we needed more in it this year (IDK why she waited this long to complain, lol) so, now we'll see which pie ranked supreme this year. I did have some batter leftover after making these 2 pies so, I'll figure out what to make with that another day ;) I do feel that using an electric mixer may be the secret to keeping the top of the pie from cracking while baking because it helps to mesh together the consistency of the pie mix without allowing the ingredients to separate really. Also, I feel like a lot of people probably don't use chocolate for a marbled pumpkin pie because the syrup is denser then the pie mix which can make the pie look more sunken-in at the chocolate parts... but that won't stop me from devouring the chocolaty monster, haha!

*Update* After having tried both the pies I made... overall they were both edible and ok, my cousin wanting to keep the pies all to himself too, hahah. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the Hershey Syrup I added into the one pie although my mom liked it best, and people felt their was a bit too much cinnamon in the other pie. So personally I'd prefer the original recipe and maybe 1/4 tbsp of ground cinnamon added to this 2-pie recipe to satisfy my mom :P Oh well, always next year to get it right!

No comments: