November 22, 2012

Cislo's Secret Frosting - Recipe

This was a super secret frosting recipe by a lady named Mrs. Cislo who made amazing wedding cakes and such for everyone. Since her passing a few of her recipes have recently surfaced from members in my family. So, I decided to share what once was a super secret recipe with everyone on my blog, so shh.. and Happy Holidays everyone ;)

Ingredients
2 lb - Confectioners Sugar
1 cup - Crisco Shortening
1/4 tsp - Almond Extract
1 tsp - Pure Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup - Milk, lukewarm
dash - Salt

Beat ingredients together until very fluffy.

If a little dry, add a touch more milk.

If coloring, gel paste coloring works best.
Periwinkle colored frosting
To get this frosting color above I actually ended up finding that for me food dye coloring worked best. To get this periwinkle color I used 3 drops of blue and 2 drops of red food coloring, you'll probably have to repeat that combination of food coloring about 6 or 7 times to achieve this hue.

Yields: I'd say this recipe makes around 2-3 containers worth of your typical sized store bought frosting containers.

Side Note & Review: Don't be alarmed if it seems like you have too much sugar and not enough milk at first, the sugar will begin to melt down with the other ingredients as you mix it. The amount/size will become half, if not less, than the original size it was before mixing. Also, this frosting is super sweet, and I think next time I'll add another 2 tbsp of milk to combat possible dryness, and probably exclude the almond extract. Be sure to use this frosting immediately (do not refrigerate) and it may not work that good for pipping designs (bad experience, heh). This frosting does harden/crisp a bit so I'm not sure it'd be ideal for inner layers of a cake.

No comments: