May 23, 2013

South Korea - Part 1, Flight

I know its been awhile since I have done a post, but due to school exams and spending over 2 weeks in South Korea I am back and I'm hoping to write up a few new posts on here about my recent trip. 

-Flight-

First off, I can't give you an exact cost of my round-trip flight for the average person because I do work for an airline company so I fly via standby, but I honestly only paid like $78 from DC to Seoul and back (which also means I didn't have to pay for 2 checked bags up to 75lbs and the average person gets up to like 50lbs I believe). I could have actually flown there for $35 but I didn't want to take a longer flight than I needed to. Also, you do currently need just a passport to fly to South Korea and on the flight they'll have you fill out some travel forms which you'll then end up passing onto the people working at the next airport upon entering the country... if you're lucky you won't have to stand in the passport lines for what feels like a good hour or so (you'll also be doing this again on your return flight back to the US). That being said there are a few items you can't bring to Korea... such as dried meat and perfume for example. You can however shop "Duty Free" once on the airplane to South Korea and at the airport, etc. I did have a connecting flight which was in Tokyo, Japan at Narita Airport, and of course I just had to eat some sushi while waiting for my flight to Seoul... just for the sake of saying I've eaten sushi in Japan #BraggingRights although 4 rolls cost me around $63, and it's really not much different than what I could get back home for less money. At Narita airport I found places do seem to accept US currency there although I didn't find they accepted Korean currency, and of course they accept Japanese currency. One last thing of some slight importance is that if you need to charge anything or use your electronic devices once in Japan or Korea, you will probably want to buy/bring an adapter and converter. I bought a Dynex adapter/converter in one from Bestbuy.com and honestly it really did not work for me because it was so heavy that it wouldn't stay plugged in... also it didn't give some of my devices enough power so that it'd even operate properly thus, I don't recommend THIS one (I will definitely be returning it). If you plan to use your cellphone while in another country be sure to contact your phone company prior to leaving the country because you may find your phone won't work outside the US. Also, if you don't speak Korean or aren't going with someone that speaks English and Korean than you will probably have some difficulties while in Korea (even I was with my co-worker that speaks both languages and I still had a tough time) although at the airports you probably won't have any issues if you do only speak English.
Narita Airport in Tokyo, Japan
Well I hope this first post gave you a little insight about flying to South Korea, stay tuned for more of my South Korea posts on here!

No comments: