January 05, 2013

Spicy Asian Mushroom Rice Soup - Recipe

Looking for a simple salty spicy Asian inspired broth soup to help warm you up and clear up your sinus's this winter? Then this soup I created may be the one for you. Having had a few ingredients lying around my pantry I attempted to throw this together. Anyway... I had no clue what to call this soup but it was edible so, let me know what you think :)
1 Can - Straw Mushrooms
1 Can - Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup - Water, cold
1/4 Cup - Jasmine rice, uncooked
1 Capful (around 2 tbsp) - Soy Sauce (Kikkoman light)
1/4 tbsp - Cilantro, dried (or fresh)
Dash - White Pepper, ground
1/2 tbsp - Sugar, white
1/4 tsp - Chinese Five Spice
1/4 tbsp - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

Add all the ingredients into a pot on a low to medium heat setting stirring occasionally; it should eventually start to boil. Cook until the rice is done/soft. Serve hot in a bowl with a spoon, eat and enjoy!

Side Note: I could also see adding in some sliced carrot and onion for a bit more sustenance. You can also adjust the heat of this dish with the Sriracha, I personally don't like my food overly spicy. You could also add or substitute the rice for some noodles, and maybe even add in some thin pork slices.

No comments: